WHAT WE LOOK FOR IN A HOME
• Adopters must be 18 years old with valid photo ID.
• All adults in the household must agree on the adoption.
• ALL pets are spayed or neutered and current on vaccinations unless there is a medical reason prohibiting it.
• Renters must obtain permission from their landlord to bring the animal home.
• Adopters must not have a history of animal ordinance violations, irresponsible pet ownership, animal cruelty or surrendering animals to a kill shelter.
• Dogs will not be adopted exclusively as “guard dogs”, “watch dogs” or outside only pets.
• Adopters must meet any applicable special needs requirements for the animal and be financially able to provide for the animal.
• Cats adopted through PAWS must be indoor pets.
• Adopters must provide veterinarian reference if they presently have pets in the home or if they have had pets in the home within the last two years.
• Military families must be permanent party to Goodfellow AFB and have good family support and a plan for the pet should deployment or relocation occur. Military families may not be eligible to adopt dogs in which breed specific legislation bans may exists in certain states.
THE APPLICATION PROCESS
We process applications in the order in which they are received. We make every effort to make the adoption process a smooth and enjoyable experience. We try to process the applications through within 24-48 hours.
Please provide us with the best possible number to reach your references. To expedite the veterinary reference, you may prefer to bring copies of your current pet’s veterinary records including spay or neuter verification and vaccination history. Our Adoption Center is open Tuesday – Saturday 11am-6pm inside Sunset Mall.
If you have questions on the status of your application, please call our Adoption Coordinator at 325-656-PETS (7387).